Friday, March 9, 2012

Run Through It


Sometimes life gets overwhelming.  
Sometimes you just have a bad day.  
Sometimes you just need an escape.  

I needed that today.  It wasn’t one specific thing; it was the compilation of several days’ worth of frustration.  I found myself being short with others.  I could feel the tension in my shoulders.  I was both physically and mentally tired.  Then it hit me, I needed a RUN!

Due to the operational tempo of what I do out here in Afghanistan, it’s hard to disappear for a run mid-day.  I’ve tried running at night, but it’s still pretty chilly out here and I’m not a huge fan of running in the dark alone out here…doesn’t seem very smart.  But today I decided for the good of everyone around me and for my own sanity, that it was worth it to lace up my running shoes and hit the road.

Four miles later I was a totally new person!  I had my smile back, I had a little bit more energy, and I was my old self! 

It’s so nice to know that no matter how overwhelmed I get at times, the road and my sneakers will always be waiting for me.  They know that they provide a place of solitude, a moment of sanity, and peace of mind.  It may take me an hour, a day, a week, or a month to find my way back, but they will be patiently waiting with open arms.  

Source