Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Race Recap: Pine Valley Delivery Dash 10k

On December 10th, Reagan and I woke up early and headed down to Wilmington for the Inaugural Pine Valley Delivery Dash 10k. It was a small race, but still a fun one. They were also running a 5k that started 10 minutes after the 10k, and we had a fellow Stroller Warrior and her husband running that distance. The race started a bit late due to some last minute course changes, but that gave us more than enough time to warm up. We chatted with some other runners and then soon enough, the whistle was blown.

The course took us through some beautiful neighborhoods and was mainly on the road and one short paved trail segment...easy enough to navigate with the Bob stroller. Reagan was companionable and happily chatted to herself throughout most of the first 5 miles. I started strong with a 7:18 first mile. I was trying to stick with the first and second females. Throughout the second and third miles, I stayed right next to the second female, but I couldn't hang on for the rest of the race. She was smoking it. Miles 2 and 3 were in 7:20 and 7:24, respectively. Then we came back through the start area and continued on for the last half of the race. Just before that part, I passed a younger guy, about 24ish. Apparently, being passed by a chick with a stroller "isn't cool." So he picked up the pace for about 100 yards until I passed him again. Luckily he called it quits, and he even came up and congratulated me after the race! The last 3 miles went by quickly - 7:25, 7:35, and 7:38. As you can see from my splits, I went out a bit too fast. Oh well, lesson learned. I finished 3rd overall female and 1st in my age group. Final time: 46:22.

The course was fantastic and despite the small nature of the race, it was well done overall. They provided pizza (a post-race first for me) and Krispy Kreme donuts after the race. They even had great prizes for the first place finishers of each race: $100 New Balance gift certificates! Guess I'll have to get a lot faster to nab one of those:)


My friend Heidi and her husband won first female and male in the 5k. This chick ran a 20:51 and she's pregnant! Her husband rocked a 19:13!

Reagan was ready to roll with her weather cover, blanket and snack trap:)

By the end of the run, she was zonked!