Monday, September 3, 2012

Great to be Back

After a long eight months away, I'm happy to report that I'm back in SoCal and loving it!  The deployment seemed to fly by, but I really, really missed running.  At the beginning of 2012, I was running fairly regularly with another Marine.  The weather was cool and it only rained off and on for about a month.  Then things got busy at work and there was less time to get outside and hit the road.  As the weather warmed up, it was too hot to run during the day and I wasn't able to run alone at night.  So, I settled for a lot of time on the trainer, riding my bike.  Oh yeah, and the air quality in Afghanistan is AWFUL!  I guess I could compare it to Los Angeles...we burn our trash out there and the burn pit is going 24/7.  The wind kicks up all kinds of dust and sand.  Yup, I'm pretty good at coming up with reasons for why I was so lazy!

Well, now that I'm back in Carlsbad, it was time to dust off the old running shoes!  We got home on the 30th and first thing on the morning of the 31st I laced up my shoes and hit the road.  I was completely expecting to be somewhat out of shape, but WHOA...I needed walk breaks.  But it doesn't even matter to me.  I was running/walking by the beautiful Batiquitos Lagoon, not inhaling any dust.


It's great to be home with Sean and Nessie.  Tomorrow it's time to go back to work and that means facing the hills of Camp Pendleton after eight months in the flattest place I've ever been!
Time to get back out there!!!