Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gotta Have Goals

It's a new month, so what better way to challenge yourself and be held accountable than to make your goals public?!

Jennifer's Goals

1. Run 5 days a week. I'd like to give myself a mileage goal, but I think I'll start out small for our first month of goals.
2. Do speed work once a week.  Ultimately, my goal is to get faster.  From all the issues of Runner's World I've read over the past 5 years, speed work is the key.  And while I might not be able to hit the track on a weekly basis, I have a treadmill, so it's possible to complete this goal.
3. Go to bed by 10:30 every night!  This one is tough.  I have a 1-year old, so when she goes to bed, I usually hop on the computer, or watch some TV and before I know it, midnight is upon me.  Getting adequate sleep is another key to recovery.
4. Learn about fueling/nutrition for before/during longer runs.  I live on a diet of pasta and candy.  Unfortunately, this is not good running food according to the experts.  So during the month of November, I'll do some research about how to properly fuel my body to enhance my running (rather than running just so I can eat crap).
5. Eat sweets no more than three times a week.  Some would say this isn't really a goal.  Those people obviously have no idea what kind of sweets addiction I'm dealing with.

Jessica's Goals


1. Complete speed work once a week.  Jennifer stole this goal from me.  See explanation for goal above.
2. Add two yoga workouts per week.  I am quite possibly the most un-flexible person out there!  I know that flexibility adds speed for runners, and yoga is supposed to keep my body and mind in tune, right?
3. 35 miles per week. Setting a weekly mileage goal will force me to actually plan my training!  Most days I just go out and do whatever I feel like, or whatever my friend Leonie plans for us.  I think that in the long run, a training plan will help me be stronger and faster.
4. Eliminate Monster energy drinks from my daily intake.  By far one of my biggest vices is the energy drink addiction that I have!  I'm constantly needing the caffeine fix just to function.  I've increased my intake of water, but I still drink those energy drinks.  With a list of ingredients that I cannot even pronounce, there's NO WAY these are even remotely good for me!
5. Find one new trail to run every week. During the recent Dirt Devil Racing series, I was introduced to four new trails in the San Diego area.  I'm surrounded by amazing places to run and it just takes a little research.  Finding somewhere new to run each week will keep me motivated (and distracted) during long runs!


Share your goals with us and leave us your email/blog/twitter.  We'll check in on you this month to see if you're sticking to the plan.  Help keep us and yourselves accountable!





1 comment:

Lynsey said...

Goal #1 - Finish my 12 in 12 series. Just November and December left. November race is this saturday. (Lord help me!).
Goal #2 - For certain reasons, just jog/walk more.

Yeah, not really great goals but this momma is TIRED right now.

Post a Comment

Love the feedback and the motivation. Thanks!