Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Running on Vacation...

When you're away from home, sometimes it feels like you're out of your element and makes logging miles even more challenging. But sometimes, it makes running so much more fun because everything about each run is new. No regular routes to bore you into a slower pace, always something new to catch your attention and distract you from the tired feeling you normally experience. 
One of my favorite parts of my monthly Runner's World magazine, is in the first few pages...the Rave Run that profiles incredible scenery and a beautiful runner just enjoying life. While I haven't quite found a place worthy of submission, today I did come across an excellent place to run - Occoquan Regional Park in Lorton, VA. There are paved paths for those who like the stability of the asphalt, and well-groomed trails for the rest of us. It was a short 4 mile jog that took me on both.

As fall is approaching, the air was cool and crisp and it smelled wonderful (who knows why rotting leaves smell so darn good?!).  I only passed one person out there and it was heaven. Finding this place was definitely a great start to my week, especially since I'll be here for another 2 weeks.

Pros:
1. Both pavement and trail options exist for runners.
2. The isolation is refreshing.
3. Even though I was right next to a highway, I felt like I was miles away in a forest.

Cons:
1. Trail/pavement + wet leaves = higher chances of falling (especially if you have the coordination of my sister)
2. The isolation could be somewhat scary. I recommend running in such an environment with a buddy if at all possible.
3. Run routes that require driving are always a negative in my book. 

I even got to throw in some stairs midway through miles 2 and 3! 


What a great spot to do some cool down stretching in.

1 comment:

Ryanne Baker said...

I'm picturing you running along with your camera. Beautiful shots. As I would be running along, just trying my hardest to keep moving, keep breathing, you're capturing it all with a camera! Nice! I'm working up to that ;)

Post a Comment

Love the feedback and the motivation. Thanks!