Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 Goals



Ok, so most every other blogger got around to doing this post a couple weeks ago, but better late than never, right?   All the way from the deserts of Afghanistan, Jessica's goals are as follows:


1) Complete 10 pull-ups (without assistance) before returning to the States. - I am currently able to haul chin over the bar 4 times while kipping. Ideally I'd like to get 10 dead-hang pull ups, but if it takes kipping, I think I'll be ok with that.
2) Run a 6:30 mile. - I knocked out a 7:17 within the last couple months. 6:30 is absolutely feasible. However, short distance is not my forte, so this is definitely going to be a challenge!
3) Bench press her weight (about 135-145). - I recently maxed out at 95. And while I briefly considered cutting weight until I hit 105, maxing out and then eating like a fat kid in a donut shop, I'm not sure that's a healthy approach:) 


And from a much less exciting part of the world, straight out of eastern NC, here are Jennifer's goals:


1) Run a 1:45 half marathon. - As I've posted previously, I'm running the Quintiles Half Marathon in Wilmington, NC this March, so no time like the present to test yourself, right? If it doesn't happen then, I've left myself plenty of racing season to try again.
2) Find the perfect running shoe. - After reading Born to Run, I joined the cult of mid-foot strikers. While that has done wonders for my running, it has been chewing up my shoes:( I had to return my most recent pair to Saucony because it was causing holes to form where the leather toe protector meets the mesh part. Total bummer. Still rocking Saucony's but a different style for now. I've got some friends who have similarly giant feet (size 11) who are willing to let me test their shoes (Brooks, Merrill, etc.). Hoping it's not a fruitless search.
3) Incorporate speed work into my training. - For anyone who has been reading this, you're probably laughing since I tried to do this in the month of November, and failed miserably. But now I've got a race goal and a training plan, so if I can hit the track once a week (starting February), I'll consider it good. 


Do you have any goals that you haven't yet made public? Please share them with us!